Thinking about high school? What are the advantages of High School of Your Dreams?
Survey responses indicate that Catholic homeschoolers want a four-year high school program that can be made to fit the student, not one in which the student is made to fit the program. One would not order from a stranger a box of generic clothing and have any hopes that the garments would fit the recipient, or be appropriate for the local climate. Similarly, a course of study designed to "fit all" often fits none. One can expect a happier educational outcome with the High School of Your Dreams, since those selecting courses, materials, and approaches enjoy a close familiarity with the student!
The High School of Your Dreams was conceived as Catholic homeschoolers expressed to Catholic Heritage Curricula an urgent desire for a high school program that allows:
- wider course selection
- broader choice of texts and materials reflecting the abilities and "educational track" of the student
- coursework that can be modified for students who struggle with academics but shine in practical skills
- flexibility in presentation, including the option of an experiential, rather than textbook, approach
- means of demonstrating mastery of a course of study that may or may not necessitate a diploma
Please do not consider High School of Your Dreams if:
- your student seems to do best with a 'pre-packaged' entity in which each text, course, assignment, and daily schedule has been planned for you
- you and your student enjoy the structure of courses that are laid out in day by day lessons, with little room for adjustment to changes in your own schedule or your student's developing interests
- you prefer to have all of the student's texts pre-selected by their provider
- your student has never expressed the desire to pursue a subject or topic not included in the pre-packaged course offerings
- you want a basic high school education with few electives
- you have never felt 'behind' or wished that your student had more time to finish courses
- you and your student are pleased with a 'pre-packaged' format
Please do consider High School of Your Dreams if:
- you and your student long for a broader choice of texts and materials reflecting the abilities and 'educational track' of the student, e.g., Calculus or General Math
- you and your student would like a wider selection of courses including, but not limited to, Japanese, German, Midwifery, Environmental Science, Botany, Criminal Justice/Forensic Science, Journalism, Agricultural Science, and Woodworking/Metal Shop
- you are seeking coursework that can be modified for students who struggle with academics but shine in practical skills and are happy to make suggested modifications
- you would prefer greater flexibility in presentation, including the option of an experiential, rather than textbook, approach
- you would be happy with alternate means of demonstrating mastery and completion of high school work that may or may not necessitate a diploma (While High School of Your Dreams does offer various means of earning a diploma for those who wish, diplomas are no longer routinely required for admission to institutions of higher learning. Colleges have learned that homeschoolers generally achieve at a higher level than most public-schooled students and therefore welcome students who offer alternate proofs of accomplishment.)
- you understand that, in many cases, learning can take place and be documented without having an answer key for every single subject, as in Home Ec or Drama
- you and your student would like to set your own pace, according to the demands of the day
- your young adult would like the option of changing educational directions as he explores paths that God is opening to him
- you and your college-bound student can select and design the course of study that most closely fits his developing aspirations and abilities
- you and your non-college-bound student can select and design the course of study that most closely fits his developing aspirations and abilities
High School of Your Dreams will guide parent and student alike in choosing the best fitting courses throughout all four years of high school. For those who would like extra guidance in planning classes for high school, CHC staff offers assistance customized to your student's interests and abilities. Click here.
Additional special features:
credit forms and transcripts; Canadian links, government, and history; extensive listing and choice of texts and course materials appropriate for college-bound students, and for those planning to continue their post-high school education or career development at a vocational school, community college, or through an apprenticeship; 'Guided Class Planning and Scheduling' (for parents, includes reproducible 'From Freshman to Graduate' chart); 'Stepping Up to the Plan' (for student, 13-step guide and reproducible Class Lesson Plan Form); related famous Catholic names in science, history, music, art, and more; an extensive resource of shrines, historical and cultural sites, museums, and science discovery centers listed by state/province for experiential learning and volunteer opportunities; and much more.
249 pgs. Resources and weblinks updated 2010. Spiral-bound for ease of use. A one-time purchase for your whole family! Shrink-wrapped. Click here to purchase High School of Your Dreams.
The Battle Planner
This student lesson planner by Nancy Nicholson is designed to guide your high schooler into taking charge of his education. Students should use the Battle Planner not only to keep on top of academic assignments, but also family and extracurricular activities as well. In addition, the planner includes useful, encouraging tips for improving study habits and maintaining a positive approach to life. Each week in this "over-sized planner" is laid out as a full two-page spread with lined spaces to enter assignments, their due dates, family responsibilities, and check off boxes when completed.